Medicare’s Annual Enrollment Period for the year 2021 – What You Need to Know
The Medicare Annual Enrollment Period for the year 2021 is coming! For a quick rundown on what you need to know, take a look at this basic Q&A.
What is it?
Throughout the year, Medicare has different enrollment periods. The Annual Enrollment Period, or AEP, is the time frame during which Medicare beneficiaries (people with Medicare) can make changes to their Medicare plans.
When is it?
AEP comes in the fall. As in previous years, this year’s AEP will take place October 15 through December 7. Any changes you make to your Medicare plan during this period go into effect on January 1, 2021.
What changes can you make?
During AEP, you can…
- Switch from Original Medicare (Medicare Parts A and B) to a Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another. This might involve switching from a plan without Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage to one that has it, or vice-versa.
- Make changes to your Medicare Part D prescription drug plan:
- Join a Part D plan.
- Switch from one Part D plan to another one.
- Drop your Part D plan altogether.
Note: Medicare Supplement Insurance plans are an exception. You can join one at any time during the year, not just during AEP.
Why is AEP so important?
Once the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period closes on December 7, you are limited in the type of changes you can make. Call to see if you qualify for any of Medicare’s SEP options.
Do you have to make a change during AEP?
Absolutely not! If the Medicare coverage you have now is working for you, and your plan is offered the following year, then you can keep your coverage as it is. However, because this time comes but once a year, it’s a good idea to evaluate your coverage during Annual Enrollment Period every year. That way, you’ll know if you already have the best coverage options for you, or if you need to make some changes.
How can I get ready for AEP?
I-TURN-65.net has you covered. We’ve got several Medicare meetings going on during AEP. Click on the Meeting Dates and Times tab and attend one of our FREE meetings. They are designed to help inform and assist you in navigating through the basics of Medicare Parts A, B, C and D.